Teachers Bring their Legislators to School ~ Melissa StugartNovember 5, 2015
Next week kicks off a series of events in Colorado, Michigan, and New York during which State Senators and Representatives have been invited into schools to learn about the wonderful ways teachers and administrators have been engaging students in meaningful, deep, and rigorous learning.
Most inspiring is that these events have been organized by teacher leaders, like Lexie Woo, a 4th grade teacher in from Queens, New York, who says, “BYLTSD will provide my legislator, Senator Addabbo, the opportunity to watch how educators successfully implement the Common Core State Standards with diverse learning populations. He will have the chance to speak directly to members of our learning community, answering their questions and asking his own, creating a rich, unfiltered interaction.”
In all three states, the events are sponsored by teacher led organizations. Colorado events are sponsored by the Colorado Educator Alliance; Michigan events are sponsored by the Michigan Educator Alliance; and New York events are sponsored byPartners for Inspired Education.
Monday, November 9
- Clayton Huey Elementary will host New York State Representative Fred Thiele Jr.
- PS 11 The Highbridge School will host New York State Assemblywoman Latoya Joyner.
- JKL Bahweting Public School Academy will host Michigan State Representative Lee Chatfield.
- Collegiate Prep Academy will host Colorado State Representative Paul Rosenthal.
- Dorothy Bonawit Kole School will host New York State Senator Joseph P. Addabbo.
- Harlem Link Charter School will host New York State Assemblyman Robert Rodriguez.
- South High School in Pueblo, CO will host Colorado State Representative Daneya Esgar and Senator Leroy Garcia.
- Aurora West College Preparatory Academy will host Colorado State Senator Nancy Todd .